Buhari’s Ex-Minister Umar Speaks On Using Contractor To Launder N37 Billion - The Top Society

Buhari’s Ex-Minister Umar Speaks On Using Contractor To Launder N37 Billion

TOPSOCIETYNG

Sadiya Umar-Farouk, the former Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, has denied knowledge of any shady dealings amounting to N37bn when she headed the ministry.

Umar-Farouk, who was appointed the minister of the Humanitarian Ministry by ex-president Muhammadu Buhari was reportedly linked to a contractor, James Okwete, who was used in laundering the N37bn.

Former Power Minister Agunloye Detained by EFCC 

Speaking about the allegation, the former minister in a message titled, ‘The Attack On My Person’, shared on her Twitter page on Tuesday, in response to the alleged N37.1bn probe by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission,( said she does not know James Okwete, neither have he represented her in anyway.

She said,

“There have been a number of reports linking me to a purported investigation by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) into the activities of one James Okwete, someone completely unknown to me. James Okwete neither worked for, nor represented me in any way whatsoever. The linkages and associations to my person are spurious.

“While I resist the urge to engage in any media trial whatsoever, I have, however, contacted my legal team to explore possible options to seek redress on the malicious attack on my person.

“I remain proud to have served my country as a Minister of the Federal Republic of Nigeria with every sense of responsibility and would defend my actions, stewardship and programmes during my tenure whenever I am called upon to do so.”

Sadiya took over the office in 2019 and undertook several projects, including the Conditional Cash Transfer (CCT) and the school feeding programme.

She had been accused of spending N2.67bn on school feeding during Covid-19.

Former Minister Declared Wanted by EFCC Over Alleged Fraud 

The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) had said that the N2.67bn paid to some federal colleges for school feeding during the COVID-19 lockdown ended up in private bank accounts.

Sadiya, however, denied the allegation, saying that the school feeding in question is different from the home-grown school feeding programme, which is one of the humanitarian ministry’s social investment programmes

 

 

 

 

Share this Article
Leave a comment